Many Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) in the UAE have welcomed the proposal of India’s Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman to issue Aadhaar cards to Non-Resident Indians on arrival, without the mandatory period.
“I propose to consider issuing Aadhaar card for NRIs with Indian passports after their arrival in India without waiting for the mandatory 180 days,” Nirmala Sitharaman said.
The proposal was made during the announcement of the Union Budget 2019 on Friday.
An Aadhaar card carries an official identification number to each citizen and it is linked to the centralized database and includes demographic, biometric and other relevant data.
The Aadhaar card is very much similar to Emirates ID of UAE.
Below are the few steps to follow to apply for Aadhaar card:
- NRIs can visit uidai website:https://uidai.gov.in/ and find the nearest Aadhaar center.
- Once the center is decided, the NRIs can visit the center with original documents.
- The next step involves submission of relevant documents like Passport,any other photo ID and it goes for approval.
- Once the documents are approved, they are called for Biometric scanning where all the ten fingers are scanned.
- After the fingerprint scanning, Iris scan is done to make the identity unique and accurate.
- After that the photograph of the applicant is taken through web camera which will appear on the Aadhaar card.
- The applicants can track the Aadhaar card status on uiai website mentioned above.
So when you travel to India next time don’t forget to apply for your Aadhaar card.